Sunday, October 3, 2010

What Should We Be Doing?

Recently, a friend of mine introduced me to a new blog. Dane Ortland's Strawberry Rhubarb Theology. I feel like I'm going back to the brownie pan every time I visit his blog. Do you know what I mean? Here's a "piece of the brownie" for you to sample. I bet you'll be back for more!


From Dane Ortlund:


"I don't want to be obnoxious about this (and if this is old hat to you thanks for your patience--though if it feels old hat, that itself is probably indicative of your need for the very truth I'm mentioning here), but I'm going to keep mentioning things that are currently helping me, and right now I'm working through this question of the intersection of the startling freeness of the gospel and Christian holiness.

How would you fill in the blank? "It ought to be the primary goal of every Christian to ________________."

Pursue personal holiness? Lead others to Christ? Serve others in love? Cultivate the spiritual disciplines?

Here's Luther's answer: "It ought to be the primary goal of every Christian to put aside confidence in works and grow stronger in the belief that we are saved by faith alone" (The Freedom of a Christian [trans. M. Tranvik; Fortress 2008], 55). The primary goal of every Christian."



No comments: