Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Five Reasons to Have Children and Keep Them


Did you ever think you needed a reason to have children? Well, in case I have any readers who are childless, do press on. And for those who do have kids but wonder why they should keep them; press on.

1. Pets are cute, but they are not children. No disrespect meant to those who love their pets like a family member. I have my black lab who is the "baby" of our all female family, (except for my husband) She's cute; she's always in a good mood, but she has never left me a sweet note on my pillow about how much she loves me.

2. Children make you see life through a different lens...the lens of a child. You forget what it's like to be a kid when you are all grown up, have your career, and so on. Kids take you back to that time in your life. For me, it makes me incredibly grateful for the husband I share life with. He's a good dad. He's not perfect, but hey, he's in the game. He helps them with homework, instructs them about life, enters into their joys and sorrows. I had no such experience. I love having a reference point for what a good daddy looks and sounds like.

3. Having children gives you Attention Deficient Disorder. Hey...that's not a bad thing! Oh my gosh....I'm glad I get to jump from thing to thing. First of all, my kids think I am a walking dictionary and can't possibly not understand their math equations! I wouldn't want to disappoint them except for the ADD that pulls me away to the next child! Thank you ADD. You have rescued me from all these inflated expectations of my dear kids.

4. Children make you laugh! Come on, everything from the first time they winch their little faces to poop in their diaper! You know what I'm talking about. You know it makes you laugh. Then they start to read and want to play Scrabble with you. Great. A little awkward when your daughter only has the k-c-f letters left and puts them around the only available vowel...you guessed it. "Is that a word, Daddy?" I don't know what's funnier; their phonetic exercise or trying not to make eye contact with your spouse:)

5. Children are a gift. Plain and simple. Undeserved gift from the Creator who loves to bless us with what we don't deserve. It's what He does so well.

No comments: