Friday, July 23, 2010

Luther on Galatians

"True Christian righteousness is faith and confidence in the Son of God, or rather the heart's confidence in God through Jesus Christ. We should qualify this by saying that this faith and confidence is credited to us as righteousness for Christ's sake, in whom I have begun to believe. Because of this faith in Christ, God does not see my doubting of his goodwill toward me, my distrust, my heaviness of spirit and other sins that are still in me. But I am covered under the shadow of Christ's wings, as the chicken is under the wing of the hen, and I live without fear under that wide banner of forgiveness of sins that is spread over me. Therefore, God covers and pardons the remanent of sin in me; that is because of the faith which I began to lay hold upon Christ, he accepts my imperfect righteousness as perfect righteousness and counts my sin as no sin, even though it is indeed sin."

No comments: