Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Heart Devoted to God

Dear ones...how goes the reading? I am listening to the book on CD while I travel. I wish you could hear Elizabeth's voice. It's so soothing and kind. Anyway, as I promised here are a few things for you all to engage with to help us on our journey of becoming women after God's own heart:)

Martha and Mary...a familiar story but I pray for fresh eyes to see it again today. See Luke 10:38-42. Remember " Martha was so busy doing things for the Lord that she failed to spend time with the Lord." Mary however made worship of the Lord her top priority. Time with Jesus was at the top of her to-do list:) She made a choice that indicated a heart of devotion. She knew she had to do a few things to be with Jesus. She couldn't just "go with the flow" Hey remember...she was in Martha's house and there was definitely a flow going on!

What things can you do this week to
....cease your busyness
....stop all activity and
....set aside secondary things

One thing I've done is enter my daily practices into my phone calendar! Yep, it's there. At 6 a.m. my phone calendar goes off with the song "You Make Me Smile" and reads out...."Hey sunshine! See you on the couch." It really helps me. Let me know if you are doing anything new or something you've been doing that helps you stay on track. Thanks Maggie for the "no bible; no breakfast" rule. That made us laugh. Also, can't you all just see little Lydia's sweet face saying, "Mommy, so when do you read your bible?" Precious.

Here's a quote to ponder:
"Modern civilization is so complex as to make the devotional life all but impossible. It wears us out by multiplying distractions and beats us down by destroying our solitude, where otherwise we might drink and renew our strength before going out to face the world again."

Maybe you already have a scheduled time already. My schedule changes in the summer so I have to adjust things. If you are like me, today is a great day to make that choice and put it in your schedule (or phone calendar) Remember...something is better than nothing. Aim for consistency even if its just a little bit each day. "Great lives are made up of many little disciplines."

Sweet friends, I don't want us to miss the best thing for us. You don't want to either! It will be said of us as was said of Mary, "she has chosen the better thing and it will not be taken from her."

No comments: