Sunday, June 6, 2010

BookClub

Hi friends. This thought came to me one restless night. Use my blog to stay connected with you all as we embark on the book, A Woman After God's Own Heart. I hope you all will avail yourself of the tool. One of the things I want to do is build our momentum. It's been my experience that I am often more talkative after meeting together; I've had time to process and think about what others have shared. Anyone else had that experience? So please....let's get on this 'blogger highway' and discuss the book as we read. I want (we want!) to hear from you. What's on your mind? It's helpful to include the page number so we can all look up the sentence or paragraph. Feel freedom to include links or songs that are meaningful to you. I want us to be eager to get together for the next bookclub. Monday June 28 :)

Our first meeting we will be discussing Part 1: The Pursuit of God.

Before we even begin the book I want to say this....this book is primarily focused on the disciplines we can follow to place ourselves before God to transform us.

Remember Elizabeth's comment about the "path of disciplined grace"

"It is discipline, because there is work for us to do. It is Grace, because the life of God which we enter into is a gift we can never earn...Discipline in and of itself does not makes us righteous, it merely places us before God....The transformation...is God's work"


Of first importance is that we truly understand that no discipline makes us acceptable to God. Jesus Christ did that work on His cross. He perfectly lived and died. That's all done. Ours now is the joy of living out the good of those realities; to get on with the good works He has prepared for us. We would miss the whole point if all our discussion and meeting were lost on working harder for God. May I present the idea that it's quite the opposite. All that we are going to discuss is birthed out of Jesus' work. We get to shatter the alabaster box at His feet and fill the room with that sweet aroma of worship and devotion for all that He has done for us. And not only that, but He enthusiastically welcomes us to come join Him in the work He is doing today on the earth. Indeed, it is a wonderful time to be alive! I can't wait to see what treasures are store for each one of us!

See you Monday. :)

Here's a link to feast on. www.offirstimportance.org

No comments: