Monday, December 8, 2008

Mary...Was She Merry?

My quiet times have been in the book of Luke this week. I'm trying to keep my thoughts on the mystery of the incarnation. So many things clamor for my attention , but oh , how settling it is to pick up my bible and read...

"Then Mary said unto the angel, how shall this be..." Luke 1:34.

I love that girl! She was curious about the way it would happen but did not doubt that it would happen. No further questions or objections. Simply a "behold, the handmaiden of the Lord, let it be unto me according to thy word."

I want to live like that. That's meekness and readiness to do whatever the Lord desires. I found this commentary of the passage.

"Let us seek in our daily practical Christianity to exercise the same blessed spirit of faith which we see here in the Virgin Mary. Let us be willing to go anywhere and do anything, and be anything, whatever be the present and immediate inconvenience, so long as God's will is clear and the path of duty is plain. The words of good Bishop Hall on this passage are worth remembering. "All disputations with God after His will is known, arise from infidelity. There is not a more noble proof of faith than to captivate all the powers of our understanding and will to our Creator, and without all questionings to go blindfold whither He will lead us."
J. C. Ryles, Expository Thoughts on Luke

I think Mary was merry. I can't imagine a resignation in her voice, "well, if it has to be me you've called to this place of favor, I guess I'll do it." I marvel that the Lord shared the scoop on Elizabeth " ...behold, your cousin has also conceived." I think that would have been very comforting to Mary. I see the Lord's grace helping her along the way. Someone else, a relative no less, to share the load. Here's someone else who will really understand her situation. I've had "Elizabeths" in my life. What a gift from God to have a friend who doesn't need an explanation. Thank God for the friends in your life girls.

Can't wait to read tomorrow. The drama continues.

No comments: