Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Happiness Communicated Doubles Itself"


Back in Luke this morning. Mary and Elizabeth have a great visit. When was the last time I visited a friend and they were filled with the Holy Spirit? Can you see Elizabeth reach for her round belly as she feels her baby "jump" inside her. Someday girls, you'll know what that feels like. This was no ordinary greeting, but it sure made me want to think about it more. How sweet fellowship is with a sister or close relative. Mr. Ryles had something great to say about that too.


"We should always regard communion with other believers as an eminent means of grace. It is a refreshing break in our journey along the narrow way to exchange experience with our fellow travellers. It helps us insensibly and it helps them, and so is a mutual gain."


"There are many who fear the Lord and think upon His name, and yet forget to speak often to one another. First let us seek the face of God. Then let us seek the face of God's friends."


"Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another, and the Lord listened
and heard them; so a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the Lord and who meditate on His name." Malachi 3:16


So, the Lord carefully listens and records our conversations with one another so that we remember. Help me Lord to be that refreshment that Mary and Elizabeth were to each other. Let our exchanges with each other have the same effect that these two friends had on each other. The Holy Spirt filling us up and praise and thanksgiving being the overflow of our hearts! (Oh, and note that there was quite an age difference between the two!)

3 comments:

Hannah Leilani said...

That's so true Mommy! Please keep reminding me that joy is of the essence! I love you so much!
Scooter Crunch

Unknown said...

Thanks Hannah. I love you so much. What a delight you are to Daddy and me!

Let joy abound!

Mimi said...

Lisa,

You have been that person for me.

Our conversations on the Gable's front porch always pricked my soul and made me think of how I was approaching my roles as a wife and mother and keeper of my home.

Thank you so much for always being willing to speak truth and share your love for Jesus.

Miss you friend,
Mimi